Contact DetailsLorna Lock [email protected]
Published: 15 November 2021 Closing Date: 03 January 2022 Contract Type: Full-time
CARRIAGE AND WAGON FITTERPAID VACANCIES
PASSIONATE ABOUT HERITAGE RAILWAYS
Swanage Railway is an award-winning heritage railway carrying 200,000 passengers a year, making it one of the leading tourist attractions in Dorset.
You’ll be working in a team of people who are passionate about restoring and maintaining our fleet of heritage steam and diesel locomotives, carriages, and wagons to operate our services.
As a Carriage and Wagon Fitter you will play the important role of ensuring there are sufficient serviceable carriages and wagons to operate Swanage Railway various services.
You will have the opportunity to put your engineering skills to use through carrying out the maintenance, repair and overhaul of rolling stock. Working as part of a team, you will follow required procedures to complete maintenance, repairs, and examinations to a high standard and often to a tight deadline. Following good practice and promoting the benefits of a clean and safe environment will also be key aspects of the role.
Working within our Locomotive, Carriage and Wagon Dept. you will have the opportunity to gain a unique insight into the technical aspects of operating our heritage railway and working within a ‘volunteer led’ organisation with a strong focus on improving services.
- Mechanical Fitting experience
- Practical experience with hand and power tools
- A working knowledge of mechanical equipment
- Attention to detail
- Ability to read drawings and/ or schematics
- Educated to GCSE level or equivalent with a minimum of 3 subjects, including Maths and English.
Desirable skills (any or all)
- Welding / fabrication
- Vehicle electrics
- City & Guilds / NVQ level one, level two and / or level three qualifications in Engineering/Mechanic discipline
Benefits of working for Swanage Railway
- 30 days holiday including statutory bank holidays
- Contributory pension scheme following probationary period
- Free or subsidised refreshments when working
- National Rail Privilege travel rates following completion of induction period
- Salary (TBA)
Interviewing second week in January 2022