Contact DetailsLorna Lock [email protected]
Published: 13 September 2021 Closing Date: 30 September 2021 Contract Type: Full-time
STEAM LOCOMOTIVE FITTERPAID VACANCIES
Swanage Railway is an award winning heritage railway carrying 200,000 passengers a year, making it one of the leading tourist attractions in Dorset.
You’ll be working in a team of people who are passionate about restoring and maintaining our fleet of heritage steam and diesel locomotives, carriages and wagons to operate our services.
As a Steam Locomotive Fitter you will play the important role of ensuring there are sufficient serviceable steam locomotives to operate Swanage Railway various services.
You will have the opportunity to put your engineering skills to use through carrying out the maintenance, repair and overhaul of steam locomotives and other stock. Working on your own and as part of a team, you will follow required procedures to complete examinations and tasks to a high standard, often to a tight deadline. Ensuring engineering hygiene and promoting the benefits of a clean and safe environment will also be key aspects of the role.
Working within our Locomotive, Carriage and Wagon Dept. you will have the opportunity to gain a unique insight into the technical aspects of operating our heritage railway and working within a ‘volunteer led’ organisation with a strong focus on improving services.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience of maintenance and overhaul in a mechanical engineering environment including hand fitting, welding, pipe work and brazing.
- Ideally, but not essentially, technical competence in repairing and maintaining steam locomotives
- Educated to GCSE level or equivalent with a minimum of 3 subjects, including Maths and English
- Self-reliant but also a team player with a positive attitude to working with both volunteers and staff to solve problems constructively
- A ‘can-do’ attitude along with an honest and pragmatic approach to work
Benefits of working for Swanage Railway
- Salary TBA; 40-hour week (must be willing to work flexible hours and days)
- 28 days holiday including statutory bank holidays
- Contributory pension scheme
- Free or subsidised refreshments when working..
Closing Date: 12.00 Thursday 30th September 2021
Interview Date: Wednesday 6th October 2021 No Agencies