Contact DetailsLorna Lock [email protected]
Published: 13 September 2021 Closing Date: 30 September 2021 Contract Type: Full-time
CARRIAGE AND WAGON FITTERPAID VACANCIES
Swanage Railway is an award winning heritage railway carrying 200,000 passengers a year, making it one of the leading tourist attractions in Dorset.
You’ll be working in a team of people who are passionate about restoring and maintaining our fleet of heritage steam and diesel locomotives, carriages and wagons to operate our services.
As a Carriage and Wagon Fitter you will play the important role of ensuring there are a sufficient number of serviceable carriages and wagons to operate Swanage Railway various services.
You will have the opportunity to put your engineering skills to use through carrying out the maintenance, repair and overhaul of rolling stock. Working as part of a team, you will follow required procedures to complete maintenance, repairs and examinations to a high standard and often to a tight deadline. Ensuring engineering hygiene and promoting the benefits of a clean and safe environment will also be key aspects of the role.
Working within our Locomotive, Carriage and Wagon Dept. you will have the opportunity to gain a unique insight into the technical aspects of operating our heritage railway and working within a ‘volunteer led’ organisation with a strong focus on improving services.
- Experience of repairing and maintaining in a mechanical engineering environment.
- Someone mechanically minded & has experience with hand and power tools.
- Ideally, but not essential, technical competence in repairing and maintaining heritage rolling stock including running gear, braking systems, lighting and electrical systems, train heating systems, bodywork, glazing and upholstery.
- Educated to GCSE level or equivalent with a minimum of 3 subjects, including Maths and English.
- Self-reliant but also a team player with a positive attitude to working with both volunteers and staff to solve problems constructively.
- A ‘can-do’ attitude along with an honest and pragmatic approach to work.
Benefits of working for Swanage Railway
- Salary TBA 40-hour week (including flexible hours and days)
- 30 days holiday including statutory bank holidays
- Contributory pension scheme subject to conditions
- Free or subsidised refreshments when working.